Thursday, June 22, 2006

The things you swear you will never do when you become a parent!

You know I'm not saying my life is easy..it isn't. But I've reached that point in parenting where I don't have to be on top of DD 24/7. And you know it's nice. I can send her up to take a shower without sitting in the room sitting watching her every moment. I can have her run outside to get the mail...pick up her things, read her own books, take the dogs out etc.. life is good. This week however we had a bit of regression. DD decided that every day since this past Friday she was going to have a stomach ache and make my life hell. Friday I get a call from the MIL..come get DD she is sick. So I run out from work to pick her up...she lays on the coach for all of 40 mins and is suddenly better and outside playing with friends. Must be the heat I think...it got awfully hot the past few days.

Saturday we have a wedding to go to...YEAH! I love weddings and I've gotten to that point in my life where most of my friends are married. When I was 26-30 I swear I was going to a wedding every other week...I was broke from buying gifts. I hear weddings pick back up when you're in your 40s...second marriages. But today I have a wedding of a friend's little sister. Off to the store for a new dress, shoes and purse..and of course a gift. I'm very excited.

I'm taking DD to a sleep over at a friends. S. is meeting me at the wedding because he has to work. That means I can drink, have fun, flirt! On the way to the friends...she starts crying..my stomach hurts...oh don't start this crap!

She use to do this all the time when she was younger.....insisting she was sick when really wasn't. She had a nervous stomach. But we were past this..she hasn't done this in a year or two.

10:30 my cell rings...it's my friend D. I have to come pick up DD she is sick. Thank god S is there I don't think I couldn't have driven otherwise. Off to pick her up, my night cut short. Sunday we don't let her out of the house "she is sick".

Monday is her first day of camp...guess what?!?!? 11:30 I get a call...have to pick her up again! S is in the city..to far to go pick her up. I car pool to work so my car pool buddy agrees to cut his day short too and off we go to pick her up.

At this point I'm more than irritated but of course I wonder "what if she really is sick?" I call the doctors to make an appointment, we have one for 2:30 that day.

By 1:00 she claims to be fine, she doesn't want to go to the doctor. TOUGH! You're going! Off to the doctor who declares her perfectly fine, but does tell me this is a common occurrence in children her age....it's psychological...but they do have "real" physical symptoms they tell me. My kid? She talks about everything! How could she be bottling things up?? What's going on!!

The next morning S is talking her to camp yet again and she is crying...doesn't want to go, her stomach hurts...etc..etc.. He's late for work, I'm standing outside my building at work on my cell phone. ..begging, pleading for her to calm down.... I can't leave work again. I don't know what is going on.... I worry what is she is really sick? What if this isn't all in her head? And if it is all in her head what the heck is going on in there?? She says she likes camp....she says nothing is bothering her...I just don't know what to do! So as any good mother would do, I bribe her...I tell her if she goes to camp and manages to finish the week we can go get a pair of those blasted Heelys she wants so badly...so guess what I did this weekend?? We went and spent $65.00 on a pair sneakers for a 9 yr old. The things I swore I'd never do!!

No comments: