Monday, June 05, 2006

Back at work

I'm here at work and I remember why it sucks. Don't get me wrong it isn't a stressful or taxing job but I walk in at 7:30 am and no one talks....we sit here and look at our computers pretending to work. I work w/ 28 people and 20 of them I wouldn't speak to if I didn't have to. And I'm a VERY social person. I'm the kind of person who talks to the person next to me in line at the Wawa...so you have to understand this is pure torture! I do have a few friends here. One I've worked with for 12 yrs and he is probably one of my best friends. Thank god for him...but I spent 2 yrs here with out him! Some times I wonder how I survived. At my old job they nick named me JabberWalkie...because I walked around and talked all day (well not all day but you get the point). But here? Here I come in and sit down and well...look at the computer. Sometimes I even put head phones and pretend I'm listening to something so the girl next to me leaves me alone....oh the girl next to me...let me explained!!!!

I was sooo excited when they started hiring people my age. You have to understand I work for the state...so everyone here is 90....being 35 makes you a "young thing." No where else in the real world am I a young thing. It's good for the ego until you go back to reality and realize you are a 30+ something like everyone else and you really don't look that good! So anyway...they start to hire younger people (again 30 somethings) and I'm soooo excited!!! People to talk to!!! Yeah!!!!!! So one of those "young things" shares a cubicle w/ me...great right? Well not so much. She one of those people...you know...THOSE PEOPLE. She is always right, you can't agree to disagree and she is intensively personal (difficult for the girls who shares her life story w/ the person in Wawa!) I understand personal. I get that not everyone whats to tell the person they sit next to what they had for dinner last night. But she is personal in a paranoid if anyone knows anything about me they will "use it against" me kind of way. Huh? I mean come on-you're not a movie star or a politician...who cares! ....one day I like her...the next I can't stand her. Maybe that is a bit strong...but she makes it really difficult to be her friend. She is one of the most awkward, most one sided people I have ever meant. She shares NOTHING personal...and I mean nothing. Can't ask her what she did for lunch or if she had a good weekend....or you get shot the look of death! But it doesn't stop her from interjecting where ever she feels fit. Commenting on phone conversations, asking what you are looking at online. If she was personal and left it at that fine...but she is personal but then wants to know your business...huh???? At first it didn't bother me as much...but you know it gets difficult maintaining a friendship with someone so one sided. And to top it off she has the social graces of a 5 yr old. No lying to be considerate or polite. If you ask what did you do at lunch...never "Oh I had errands to run." NO! It's "None of your business and I'd appreciate if you didn't ask me that." YIKES!!!!! I try to ignore her...you know it just isn't worth it...but again...I talk to the person next to me at Wawa! I can only ignore someone for soooo long!!!!!!! Well...I could go on and on...but I do have to work! And as boring as my job is...and I know what people think of state employees...but there is work to be done and well...break is over!!!!!

No comments: