Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Letter from Congressman Gerlach

My scanner isn't working...so I wasn't going to bother posting a copy of the letter...but then I felt compelled to actually type it. So here you go, I know it is an election year but I'm still happy he wrote the letter!

Dear Mr. Aguirre:

I was recently contacted by two consitiuents regarding difficulties they are experiencing in completing the foreign adoption process. In both cases, the constituents have a valid I 171H issued by USCIS and are seeking to adopt a child from China. Due to the increasing wait times for Chinese adoptions, both constituents’ I 171H will most likely expire before the process is complete, which means they will have to re-file their paperwork with USCIS and pay a second fee.

It is my understanding that the current 18-month validity date for the I 171H is established by USCIS regulations. Given the nearly 8,000 children were adopted from China by US citizens last year, along with several thousand more from Russia and Guatemala,I am writing to ask that you review the current 18-month validity date for the I 171H and seek to modify the regulations to extend the timeframe to at least 24 months so that adopting families, who already go through a very time consuming process in an effort to extend love and compassion to some of the world’s most neediest children, do not have to undergo the additional burden of filing for a second I- 171H. Since modifying regulations is also a time consuming process, I would greatly appreciate if you would also work to address the needs of the families who are currently in the adoption process and grant to them an extension of their I 171Hs. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. I look forward to hearing from you shortly

No comments: